Dilutions for External Use of Essential Oils
Mix essential oils with carrier oils in the following dilutions:
General use - dilute to 2%. For children/elderly/sensitive skin/convalescing use 1%.
To make 1%: add 5 - 6 drops of essential oil per 30ml of carrier oil
To make 2%: add 10 -12 drops of essential oil per 30ml of carrier oil
Methods of Application of Essential Oils with Herbs
- Massage - This is the preferred method of application. Add essential oils to an herbal infused oil carrier in a 2 % dilution.
- Bath - Start with 2-5 drops per tub, depending on oil. (Careful: peppermint, citrus, lemongrass and more oils irritate the skin - check before using). Fill bath and add oils, then mix and step into the bath. For children, mix 2 drops of an essential oil in 1 tsp. carrier oil or shampoo.
- Gargle or mouthwash - 1 drop per 60ml of sage or thyme tea.
- Inhalant - 6 drops in 2 pints of hot tea; inhale steam; or sprinkle essential oil onto tissue or handkerchief.
- Spray - 5 drops per 30ml. of rosewater, for body or environmental fragrancing.
» View our Aromatherapy Candles Here